Dear NATS Colleagues,
I hope your academic year is off to a wonderful start! As we look ahead to our Region Conference at Oklahoma City University November 11-14, 2015, there are many announcements and changes I need to communicate to you.
- Registration for the Region Conference will open on September 12 and close on Friday, October 9, 2015 at 6:00pm.
- Beginning this fall, we will adhere with the NATS Student Auditions regulations that were adopted by the NATS Board of Directors this past summer. Please read these items carefully as there are several changes of note, indicated by (**).
- ** Category numbers
- Our category numbering system has changed significantly. Please double-check the categories when registering your students. For instance, College Freshmen Women used to be Category III. It is now Category VIIA.
- ** Repertoire
- College Junior and Senior Women/Men must have four (4) contrasting selections from classical repertoire. One Aria. One Art Song in English. One art song in a foreign language. One additional selection. At least three languages must be represented. These categories have historically required three (3) selections. Please plan accordingly.
- Graduate Women/Men must have five (5) contrasting selections from classical repertoire. One operatic Aria. One oratorio/cantata Aria. One Art Song in English. One Art Song in a foreign language. One additional selection from the classical repertoire. At least three languages must be represented. These categories have historically required six (6) selections. Please plan accordingly.
- ** College Senior Women and Men category
- The new regulations require students who have studied 4-5 years post high school as an undergraduate to participate in the College Senior category. Meaning, a fifth year senior will compete in this category as well. Even if a student competed or won the College Senior Category as a fourth year student the previous year, they must compete in the Senior Category again as a fifth year student. If an undergraduate has more than five years of study, they must compete in the Graduate Category.
- Here is a link to the new Auditions Regulations.
- ** Category numbers
- Young Artist Competition Auditions
- Registration is now open, and will close on Friday, October 9, 2015 at 6:00pm. This terrific opportunity for our students will take place on Wednesday, November 11, 2015. The registration fee is $20 and a pianist will be provided. Please reference the website for additional details.
- Edward Baird Singer of the Year (SOTY)
- This wonderful competition will take place on Wednesday, November 11, 2015. Registration will close on Friday, October 9, 2015 at 6:00pm. Please reference the website for additional details.
- Host hotel
- The Crowne Plaza will be our host hotel this year. The group name for booking and the reservation link are listed on our website.
In closing, it is my honor to serve as the Governor of the Texoma Region. I would like to thank Mark McQuade for his leadership these past two years as Governor. Both he and Deborah Williamson, past-Governor, have been incredibly generous with their time and wisdom in assisting me during this transition. I am so appreciative of their kindness and commitment to our Region. I would also like to thank Frank Ragsdale and Oklahoma City University for hosting our conference this year. I know you all will enjoy the beautiful facilities and hospitality for which OCU is renowned. Lastly, we have a terrific slate of presentations in this year’s Artist Series. I trust you will find the artistry compelling, engaging, educational, and inspiring. Our Regional colleagues who are presenting have gone to great lengths in their preparation and look forward to sharing their research with us during the conference. Our two evening performances include a production of Donizetti’s comic gem, Don Pasquale, and a recital by international opera star Nathan Gunn. I am certain you will not want to miss either of these unforgettable performances.
Thank you for your committed membership to NATS and the Texoma Region. I look forward to seeing you in Oklahoma City this November.