- You should record a separate unedited video for each selection on your repertoire list.
- Your camera should record from a fixed position as if three adjudicators were seated in front of you.
- You should face straight forward to the camera as you would appear to adjudicators in a live audition.
- Your video recordings must clearly show your face and most of your body from the knees upward. Singers are permitted to wear masks for the videos.
- You should ensure that no items bearing an institutional name, logo, or image appear in the recording frame of the video.
- You may sing with a live pianist, your teacher, or recorded accompaniment in your video entries.
- If your teacher is your accompanist, they should not be in view in the video.
- Accompanists must play from authorized copies that are compliant with the NATS Copyright Policy.
- In these unusual times, videos will not be required to show the pianist in order to promote social distancing.
PERFORMANCE FOR CAMERA
- Introduce each selection at the beginning of the video. Introduce yourself by saying: “My Name is ; “I will sing—Title of Composition---by—Composer—and if appropriate
—from---Title of Work”. (The identity of your teacher, school, and region should not be revealed.)
- You must perform each of your selections from memory on your recording. CAUTION: In viewing your tablet or phone during the recording, if you give the impression you are using music for your audition, you may be disqualified.
If you need assistance with YouTube, try these two brief tutorials to get started:
- Creating a YouTube Account:
- Uploading a Video to YouTube:
- Please note that you must select "unlisted" in the Privacy settings found under the broadcasting and Sharing Options section when uploading your video file to YouTube.
- If you select "private," adjudicators will not be able to access your submission(s). If you select “Public”, you may encounter copyright issues with YouTube.
- If you see the option to “Set this video (and/or channel) for kids” or “No, this content is not for kids,” please choose the NOT for kids option. The setting for kids can make it more
difficult for judges to access the material and it may need to be reviewed by YouTube admins, causing delays.
YOUTUBE VIDEO TITLE AND NOTES
- Each video title should contain the singer’s name and the name of the local, regional, or national audition based on the audition for which you are submitting the video. (i.e. Jane Doe – Eastern Region NATS) If the same video is used for a different audition, the video title MUST be changed to reflect the new audition. (i.e. From the Eastern Region to the National Preliminary Round.)
- In the YouTube “Notes” section, include the Title, Composer, and Larger Work (if applicable).
- YouTube Channel Titles & Images must NOT reveal Teacher, School, or Studio affiliations.
VIDEO SUBMISSION IN AUDITIONWARE (Registration Program)
- In the registration program, provide the web link/address for each video that corresponds to the appropriate repertoire selection – either 3, 4, or 5 total selections, depending on your audition category.
- Please double check the links you provide for each video before submitting your application.
The following video problems would make them invalid. While we will attempt to provide an opportunity for members to resolve video issues, invalid videos may result in disqualification without a refund for the student audition fee.
- Videos revealing the teacher’s identity, the region of the singer, or the school they attend.
- Videos with “private” sharing options.
- Videos that pan and zoom during performances.
- Videos using recording equipment that alters the acoustics of the venue or the sound quality of the singer by adding/subtracting reverb or altering the pitches being sung.
- Videos that are digitally altered.