Official Rules and Guidelines
To be fair to all participants, these rules will be followed explicitly, with no exceptions. Read and follow all of these instructions carefully to avoid disqualifications.
Applications must be submitted online.
The application is available at: http://tinyurl.com/texomamt
- Singers must be students of NATS members who are in good standing with the National Association of Teachers of Singing and located in the boundaries of the Texoma Region. *Important – member dues must be paid in full before February 20, 2017, for students to be eligible to participate.
- ENTRY DEADLINE: Midnight on February 20, 2017. No exceptions.
- Winners in each category may be asked to provide proof of age to verify registration in the correct category.
- Final results will be announced via email to teachers by March 31, 2017.
- Regional finalists in each age category will be eligible to submit video auditions to the online NATS National YouTube screening round. Official guidelines, rules, and deadline dates can be found at National Student Auditions.
- Singers should prepare a separate unedited video for each song on their repertoire list. In the entry form, you will provide the web link/address for each video that corresponds with the appropriate repertoire piece – 3 or 4 total repertoire pieces, depending on your category. Please double-check the links you provide for each repertoire selection work.
- Please note that you must select “Public” in the Privacy Settings found under the Broadcasting and Sharing Options section when uploading your video file to YouTube. If you select “Unlisted” or “Private” your submission will be invalid. For information on posting videos, please explore the Help section found on the YouTube homepage.
- Per NATS policy guidelines on all competitions, teachers are not allowed to accompany their students at any level of the national competition (including online YouTube rounds).
- The video should mimic a live performance for judges at an audition. A fixed camera position throughout, clearly showing your face and most of your body, is preferable. Record the best quality entry possible, both audio and video. While a professional recording is not required, audio and video should be recorded as clearly as possible. The video should be in the spirit of a recital or audition. It may be shot in a home, school, church, synagogue, recital hall, or some other appropriate location, with or without an audience. Please take into account the acoustics of the room. A small room with dead acoustics will not flatter the voice. The performance recorded for the video entry must be acoustic and not amplified. The only microphone(s) involved should be for recording. No lighting or special sound effects are needed. Video editing during a song is not allowed.
- Singers must sing all audition repertoire from memory on the audition video entries. If a singer’s performance is not memorized, the entry will be disqualified.
- Singers must sing the same repertoire at the national level as they sang at the regional level.
- You must sing with a live pianist in your video entry and your pianist must be visible in your video. Note that the quality of the accompanist’s playing can affect not only your singing, but also the judging. An accompaniment with many wrong notes creates a bad impression.
- You are encouraged to dress appropriately, as you would for a recital or an audition.
- Accompanists are forbidden to use photocopies. Pianists accompanying singers must play from original and legal publications. Singers are responsible for the accompanist’s compliance with this strict rule. No exceptions. Entries with visible photocopies will be automatically disqualified. Photocopying music is illegal. The purchase of a publication does not grant the right to photocopy for rehearsal or performance with a pianist. The use of LEGALLY downloaded and purchased copies in compliance with the NATS Copyright Policy is allowed. The NATS Copyright Policy can be found at the end of this document. You are encouraged to use a page-turner as necessary.
- Piano introductions, piano interludes, piano music after the vocal solo is completed, and internal cuts of opera arias and music theatre selections are allowed as in common performance practice. Cuts of verses of selections are not allowed. In the case of strophic songs, all verses should remain that are traditionally included.
- Do not introduce yourself or your selections on the video entry; all video time should be devoted to the music.
- In the official entry form, provide the link with the web address of your video postings by copying the YouTube URL into the application entry field. Please double-check the link provided to verify that it is correct and functional.
- There is no audition registration fee for this event.
(Age limits apply as of the date of the regional audition, February 20, 2017.
The age categories reflected below are official.)
|Category||Length of Study||Age Limit||Time||Repertoire: all repertoire is sung from memory|
|I High School Music Theatre Women||No limit||14-19||8 minutes||Three contrasting Music Theatre selections from staged Broadway or off-Broadway productions.|
|II High School Music Theatre Men||No limit||14-19||
|Three contrasting Music Theatre selections from staged Broadway or off-Broadway productions.|
|V Lower College Music Theatre Women||0-2 years post high school||22||10 minutes||Three contrasting Music Theatre selections from staged Broadway or off-Broadway productions.|
|VI Lower College Music Theatre Men||0-2 years post high school||22||10 minutes||Three contrasting Music Theatre selections from staged Broadway or off-Broadway productions.|
|IX Upper College Music Theatre Women||3-5 years post high school||25||12 minutes||Four contrasting Music Theatre selections from staged Broadway or off-Broadway productions.|
|X Upper College Music Theatre Men||3-5 years post high school||25||12 minutes||Four contrasting Music Theatre selections from staged Broadway or off-Broadway productions.|
- Memorization - All repertoire must be sung from memory.
- Transposition - All music theatre selections must be sung in the original key or an alternate key based on common performance practice.
- Judicious Cuts - Piano introductions, piano interludes, piano music after the vocal solo is completed, and internal cuts of music theatre selections are allowed as in common performance practice. Cuts of verses of selections are not allowed. In the case of strophic songs, all verses should remain that are traditionally included.
- Music Theatre Selections - All repertoire must be from staged Broadway or off-Broadway productions. The production may be a musical, revue, or song cycle, but MUST have been staged on Broadway or off-Broadway. Various online resources are available to confirm such status and teachers are encouraged to confirm them when selecting repertoire. Singers should ensure that contrasting selections represent the spectrum of their vocal and dramatic abilities. For example, this may be exhibited by selecting pieces of varying style periods (pop/rock, contemporary, Golden Age) and employing a variety of vocalism (belt, mix, legit).
Process and Organization
Each region advances the top five (5) singers in each category to the national YouTube screening level.
National YouTube Screening
The national rounds of the competition will begin with eligible singers from each region completing online registration for the national auditions and submitting a YouTube video for initial judging and comments. All of the repertoire selections for the applicable audition category, as set forth in the requirements for the National Student Auditions must be included on the YouTube video; and the footage of this video must not be edited. Fourteen singers from each audition category will be invited to the live National Semifinal Round.
National Semifinal Round
The National Semifinal Round will take place during a National Conference or Summer Workshop. Each singer participating in the National Semifinal Round will begin with a selection of his or her choice and continue with selections chosen by the adjudicators according to the national repertoire requirements and within the prescribed time limits for each audition category. Three singers from each audition category will advance to the National Final Round.
National Final Round
The National Final Round will take place during a National Conference or Summer Workshop. Each participating singer will sing one selection of his or her choice. This selection must be one of the pieces submitted in the previous Semifinal Round of the competition. Award certificates will be presented to all three finalists with monetary awards for the First, Second, and Third Place Winners in each audition category.
- January 23, 2017 – Registration for Texoma Region YouTube Auditions opens.
- February 20, 2017 – Deadline for Texoma Region YouTube applications to be submitted.
- February 27 – March 20, 2017 – YouTube submissions reviewed by selected adjudicators.
- April 23, 2017 – Deadline to submit YouTube submissions for National YouTube Screenings.
- July 20-21, 2017 – National Student Auditions Semifinal and Final Rounds at the NATS Summer Workshop in Boulder, CO.
Please direct all questions to Dr. Brian Kuhnert, Musical Theatre Auditions Chair at email@example.com
- Texoma Region Registration Fee: $0
- National Level Registration Fee: $75
This is a registration fee for the national round of the National Student Auditions (National Preliminary YouTube Screening, Semifinals, and Finals). This fee provides for a pianist at the Semifinal and Final Rounds of the competition, should the singer so desire; and includes national conference/summer workshop registration for all sessions. This is separate from any Chapter, District, and/or Region audition fees. A separate registration fee is paid for each category entered.
Each singer may collaborate with his or her own pianist at all levels of the competition. For those singers who elect to use a Staff Collaborative Pianist, one will be provided at the National Semifinal and Final Rounds at no extra cost to the singer. While no rehearsals will be possible with the Staff Pianists prior to or during the Semifinal Round, singers who advance to the Final Round and are using a Staff Collaborative Pianist will be allotted a ten-minute rehearsal with the pianist preceding the audition.
Texoma Region Auditions
The Regional Governor and Musical Theatre Auditions Chair will select judging panels for the Texoma Region YouTube Auditions. Any teacher with a singer who is competing is required to make themselves available to judge a category in which his or her student is not competing. Depending on the number of entries, all teachers may not be needed to judge.
The adjudication panel ranks the singers from #1 through the number of entrants in their category (or portion of a category) and the singers with the lowest scores are chosen to advance to the National YouTube Screening.
Judging panels for the National YouTube Screening, the National Semifinals, and the National Finals will be selected by the National Student Auditions Coordinator in consultation with the National Vice President for Auditions.
Sources for eligible adjudicators will include:
- Any teacher with a singer who is competing may be invited to judge a category in which his or her student is not competing.
- NATS members attending the Conference or Workshop may indicate on the registration form a willingness to serve as a judge.
- NATS members who reside in the area of the Conference or Workshop may be contacted to serve as judges.
The adjudication panel ranks the singers from #1 through the number of entrants in their category (or portion of a category) and the singers with the lowest scores are chosen to advance to the Semifinal Round.
National Prize Monies
(2015 award amounts: future year awards may be adjusted)
High School, Lower College Categories*
- $1,200 - 1st place in each category
- $600 - 2nd place in each category
- $450 - 3rd place in each category
Upper College, Graduate Categories*
- $1,600 - 1st place in each category
- $900 - 2nd place in each category
- $500 - 3rd place in each category
*Should there be a tie, an award will be pooled and divided evenly between the singers. Both will be named Place Winners. Not all prizes must be awarded in all categories, depending on enrollment and/or judging.
NATS Policy on Copyright Laws
The National Association of Teachers of Singing endorses a strict policy regarding copyright laws. The use of photocopied music is prohibited at all NATS sponsored events, from the national to the chapter level.
- Music that is out of print, still under copyright law, with permission from a publisher.
- Sheet music or books for which the copyright has expired, but available in CD format. (e.g., CD Sheet Music). Performers must be prepared to present proof of ownership upon request.
- Sheet music purchased legally from an online vendor. Such music should have either a separate page proving the performer has purchased such OR a copyright notice at the bottom of the music that includes the performer’s name. Performers must be prepared to present proof of ownership upon request.
- Music available from approved public domain websites. Performers should take particular care when accessing these sites as some do not guarantee that all works are indeed in the public domain. Current approved online public domain sites are: