In compliance with a mandate from the national office regarding adherence to the official NATS POLICY ON COPYRIGHT LAWS at all NATS events, the Texoma Copyright Committee: Chair, Marion Russell Dickson; Members, Charles Chapman, Linda Poetschke, Frank Ragsdale, and Deborah Williamson, and the Texoma Board of Control have worked diligently to craft a set of procedures, the TEXOMA REGION COPYRIGHT POLICY, that will work within our established structure of auditions. As an important step in this process, a set of questions from our committee was sent to Allen Henderson, the Executive Director of NATS, resulting in a FAQ document that many of us may find helpful as we make this transition.
The National Association of Teachers of Singing endorses a strict policy regarding copyright laws. The use of photocopied music is prohibited at all NATS sponsored events, from the national to the chapter level.
1. Music that is out of print, still under copyright law, with permission from a publisher.
2. Sheet music or books for which the copyright has expired, but available in CD format. (e.g., CD Sheet Music). Performers must be prepared to present proof of ownership upon request.
3. Sheet music purchased legally from an online vendor. Such music should have either a separate page proving the performer has purchased such or a copyright notice at the bottom of the music that includes the performer’s name. Performers must be prepared to present proof of ownership upon request.
4. Music available from approved public domain websites. Performers should take particular care when accessing these sites as some do not guarantee that all works are indeed in the public domain. Current approved online public domain sites are: www.imslp.org and www.sheetmusicarchive.net
A Statement of Compliance will be included on the online Student Audition Form and the online Edward Baird Singer of the Year Registration Form. A check mark agreeing to the statement will be a required field on the form and the form will not submit without all required fields completed. There will be a link which will send the members directly to the full "NATS Policy on Copyright Laws" statement. Here are the details:
The Statement of Compliance on the online Student Audition Form will read: "I have read and understood the Copyright Policy as set forth by the National Association of Teachers of Singing. This certifies that my students and their pianists will conform to the law."
2. Will include an electronic signature, or checkmark, that when completed will indicate accordance with the NATS Policy on Copyright Laws.
3. The Student Audition Form or the Edward Baird Singer of the Year Registration Form cannot be submitted until all required fields are completed, including the above.
4. An electronic link will be provided to the full "NATS Policy on Copyright Laws" statement.
The above information will be addressed in the fall newsletter, on our website, and at the judges meeting at the beginning of our fall conference in an effort to educate our membership.
Chapters may post the same information on their websites and may include a Statement of Compliance on their Student Audition Forms (whether paper or electronic) as well.